Friday, October 26, 2012

Creating A Custom Baby Doll (Part Two)

I'm still working on Amelia's latest baby doll. Now that I've removed the factory paint from my doll, it's time to prepare her to take a pacifier. The first thing I did was make the opening of her head a bit larger with an X-Acto knife.
Once again, I took care not to cut into the plastic that won't eventually be covered by the doll's body. When I was done, the opening of her head looked like this:
As you can see, the opening is much larger now, and it'll be easier for me to get my fingers and paintbrushes inside.

The second thing I did was take my package of neodymium magnets, which are availabe at Hobby Lobby.
Make sure you're using either neodymium magnets or rare earth magnets, which are available at Radio Shack. The standard craft magnets won't be strong enough to hold the paci.

I took one of the magnets and put just a little bit of E6000 glue on it. A little goes a long way.
I glued the magnet inside the doll's head, right under the lips. The glue takes a little time to dry, so I put the other magnets on the outside of her lips to hold the first magnet in place while it dries.
Eventually, I'll glue another magnet on a standard pacifier, so the doll can "suck" her paci when it's placed on her mouth.

I think it goes without saying that you should only do this for a doll that will be given to an older child who's a bit past putting things in their  mouth.

The doll is hidden away again (she's going to be a surprise for Amelia), and is waiting to be painted. Painting is the fun part, and I'll cover it next.


No comments:

Post a Comment